Saturday, March 07, 2009

Netbooks

Back in 2005, I was looking for a small full-function computer to carry in the trunk of the bike that would let me post blogs, sort photos, handle Email, pay bills and keep my financial records while on the road. Laptops and notebooks took up too much space. After searching high and low, I discovered a Fujitsu Lifebook. It was about 10" x 7" x 1.5" and weighed about three pounds with the heavy duty battery. The technology was three years old when I bought it in March, 2005 for the huge sum of $1,700.

Over the last four years, people have commented on the little machine. It has served me well even though the low power consumption Crusoe processor was slow and the screen wasn't bright enough to use outdoors without using my jacket for a hood.

Then one day ASUS came along with a little machine called a EEE (Triple E). It was the same size as my little Lifebook but faster. I was leery because it had a small solid state drive and ran Linux. Soon, however, the market exploded and these little Netbooks were being made by many manufacturers. Trying to compare all the different models and features was making my head spin, but the Lifebook's days are numbered and I need to upgrade soon.

OK, I have finally decided that I want one of the two ASUS models, now that they run XP and have 160GB hard drives.

ASUS Eee PC 1000HA or ASUS Eee PC 900HA

Both have the same 1 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, screen resolution and Atom N270 processor. Neither have Bluetooth and I give up the touchscreen I had on the Fujitsu but I get USB2, a web cam and speakers. The downside for the 1000 is that it is slightly bigger (10.5" x 7.5" x 1.5" compared to 8.9" x 6.7" x 1.33") and 0.7 lbs heavier at 3.2 lbs. The plus side is that it has a wider screen, larger battery and much higher resolution web cam. Prices are in the $400 range, much better than four years ago.

I have decided to go for the 1000. I saw a tag for it on the shelf at Staples here in Cambridge yesterday. Checking on line today, though, I can't find it on the Staples website. Nor the Future Shop website. Lots of vendors I have either never heard of or have no easy access to. Lucky me, as usual. Now my search will begin.

No comments: