Friday, June 26, 2009

Bike Service

I took Pogo to R&L Equipment 45 miles east of here in Verner on Wednesday. It was time for the major service which is done every 50K kms. The bike had 181,113 kms (112,544 miles) on it and this is the 4th major service.

Today I picked it up. As I was going over the invoice with Serge, he asked if I would like the bike washed. Washed? He said it would take about 15 minutes. Sure, I said. While I installed a new J&M headset I had ordered to replace my broken one, someone in the back was cleaning the bike. When they brought it out, it wasn't detailed but it was the cleanest I have seen it in some time.

When I got home, I took some chemicals and did a rough cleaning of the front rim, which a quick wash wasn't going to help. They must be good chemicals because the rim now looks like chrome. I need to go after some deeper spots, probably with Autosol, but it looks good.

Now, as soon as I change the oil, we're ready for another 50K kms. The bike feels just as good as it did when it was new.

For the record, here is the work that was done.

The valves were checked but no adjustment was necessary, although one exhaust valve is getting close. These valves have not required adjustment since new.

They cleaned the air filter. This is not a small job on a GoldWing.

The steering head bearings were re-torqued to 25 ft/lbs.

Coolant and hydraulic fluids were changed.

Spark plugs were replaced.

Injector cover was replaced due to a broken tab.

New battery installed.

New Bridgestone G709 tire and valve stem installed.

No comments: