Saturday, December 04, 2010

Moving Day In Woodstock - Part Deux

Today was a slow one for me. My chest was still hurting from the hit it took from the rogue futon yesterday and I was still coughing some from the bronchitis so I took it easy much of the day after we returned the truck to U-Haul and picked up the last few items from storage.

Tom's old friend Remi came over to help him insulate and drywall the garage and they got right down to work. Remi's wife Lisa went shopping with Heather and Sandy for window blinds and other household articles.

Later in the day, Kim, Mike, Jolene and Robyn stopped by for a visit. Jolene is usually a holy terror as her inquisitive mind pushes her to check out everything she sees, but she was so enamored of her new squeaky shoes that she pretty well ignored all the open boxes and things piled throughout the house.

By the end of the day, the guys had finished the garage and it looked pretty good. Tom was pleased with himself since the total cost was only a fraction of what the contractor quoted for doing the job.

One thing I did accomplish was to remotely winterize the motor home. When I left it in Alabama, I just drained the fresh water tank, thinking that we were in the deep south and freezing would not be an issue. When I got home, I checked the climate for Centreville and found that winter nights can get pretty chilly. Record lows for December were in the 10 to 15 degree Fahrenheit range and next week they were forecasting low 20's. This was not good since the lines were full of water. I had called Blondy and asked her to pick up a gallon of pink RV antifreeze. Today, i talked her and a friend through the best winterizing process I could. Open the low point drains, empty the water heater, fill the P-traps with anti-freeze and split the balance between the black and grey water tanks and drain the water pump. We weren't able to blow the lines out with compressed air but I'm hoping it all works out for the best.

Thanks again, Blondy.  I won't ever leave the unit again without winterizing it, no matter where it is.

No comments: