Monday, January 09, 2012

Cambridge Ontario to Sudbury Ontario

Mike was up early this Monday morning and got the kids ready before leaving for work. We helped Kim get them into the car seats so she could drop them at daycare on the way to her job. It was a frosty start to  the day as we headed out after the usual stop at McDonald's. All Sandy had was decaf and a muffin while I had my usual sausage McMuffin (no egg) and real coffee. McDonald's coffee has been improving and I will now take it as soon as I would a Timmy's. Plus they have much better lids on their cups.

We would have hit Toronto at morning rush hour. Figuring this would be a bad situation, I got off the 401 at Highway 6 North and took CR 34 northeast. This avoided Guelph as well. Instead of going north on CR 1/29 to Eramosa, I went one road further and took Guelph Line up to Highway 24. I won't do this again. At 24, we got behind two school buses at the stop sign waiting to turn left, Traffic was so heavy on 24 that it took quite a while for them to get moving, which kept us from turning right. The Eramosa route has traffic lights at the intersection.

We stopped to use the washroom at the new Tim Horton's in Erin. This shop has a very convoluted drive to get in, guarded by the nastiest speed bumps I have seen in a while. Then we stopped in Mono Mills for some of the relatively cheap gas. Going up Highway 400, I started to feel really tired. It made me think of the old saying:

I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather.
Not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

I drank a 5 Hour Energy drink. Again, about an hour and a half later, my blood sugar dropped excessively low. I am starting to suspect the little energy bottle reduces glucose. Good to know if it is true.  This time, I had chocolate bars handy for just such a situation.

We rolled into Sudbury at about 1:00 PM. Gas was $1.326 compared to $1.189 this morning in Mono Mills. Something foul is afoot in gas pricing across the province but no one seems able to pin the oil companies down as to why.  In any case, another successful weekend on the road is behind us.

Today's Route (293 van miles):


View Larger Map

No comments: