Wednesday, February 13, 2019

RIP Hearly Hinds

While we were waiting to see the orthopedic surgeon at the hospital, I received a text that Hearley Hinds had passed away last night from injuries sustained in a snowmobile incident a week before.

I first met Hearley in 1980 when I had the occasion to buy a Dodge Horizon. Given the nature of this vehicle, it was only natural that I would get to be on a first name basis with the service manager at my dealership. Hearley did a great job overseeing the service operation at Laurentian Chrysler and our relationship continued through a 1984 Plymouth Voyager and 1995, 1997 and 2003 Dodge Caravans, not to mention a 2000 Neon and a 2000 Cirrus. I can say without a doubt that it was Hearley that kept me within the Chrysler family over the years and, when he retired, I moved on the Chevrolet (because of you, Kenny).

Imagine my surprise in 1989, when I got involved in organized snowmobiling as Vice President of the Sudbury Trail Plan,to find that Hearley was a driving force in the Nickel Belt Snow Spirits, one of the clubs that made up STP. While avoiding the political and business aspects associated with sledding, he was one of the key "can do" people that built the trail system. He  was able to get trail work done in a manner that was equaled by few others.

Our condolences to Margo and the family. Hearley was one of a kind and he will be missed. Rest In Peace.

No comments: