Tuesday, September 07, 2010

The Motorhome Decision

When we started long haul riding together after Sandy retired in 2003, we decided we would keep it up as long as it was fun.  Over seven seasons, we covered over 260,000 kilometers and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.  We saw the country and, mostly through VROC, met very many great people.  Good grief, one of our regular riding partners lives in Oregon.

This season, however, things were starting to wear a little thin.  I think it was in June, as we were highballing along Highway 80 across Wyoming, when my mind started to consider alternatives.  After a couple of weeks of back roads and reasonably short days, we were making tracks to cover the 2,700 miles from Topaz home in four days.  It was much like that day in the Nevada desert back in 2004 when my thoughts turned from Nomad to GoldWing.  What I envisaged was travelling the country in a motorhome with the bike following behind in our enclosed trailer.  When we'd find good places to explore by bike, we'd unload and ride around for a while.  The best of both worlds.  And we'd sleep in our own bed every night.

I suggested the idea to Sandy and she perked up.  Since our budget is limited, we won't be able to afford a new unit but we can probably get a decent used one.  I know nothing about RV's so there will be a learning curve, but I'm sure I'll get it figured out.

BTW, VROC has a term for this.  WHORE.  We Haul Our Rides Everywhere.  It was coined by Griz IIRC to describe the guys towing their bikes to Sturgis.  But as far as I am concerned, we earned the right to take it easy for a while.  So stay tuned and see how our search for a home on wheels goes.

No comments: