Saturday, May 17, 2008

The New Camera

I'm still playing with the new Panasonic Lumix TZ5 to see what it can do, but I did find one interesting thing. It has a mode called Intelligent Exposure that is supposed to vary the sensitivity of various different areas on the CCD to maintain correct exposure. Anyone who has dealt with back light situations will know all about the exposure problems with automatic digital cameras.

In the course of experimenting, I took this picture of Eric D.


I shot with the sun at his back. Normally, the foreground would be blacked out or, if I manually adjusted for the foreground exposure, the background would be overexposed. With this camera, I just pointed and shot. You'll note that Eric's features are recognizable even with the sun behind his head. I found this to be impressive.

I still have a few other features I'm figuring out, but I expect the TZ5 and I will get along just fine.

No comments: